History Of The Church

Worshiping Jesus

in the community of Seadrift

since 1912

A Town is Born

Soon after Seadrift became a town in 1910, a Presbyterian minister came to Seadrift on a bicycle, started a Sunday School and held a revival under a tent. 

A Church is Born

In 1911, a Baptist church was built and welcomed other denominations to use the facility.  

A Methodist minister came from out of town to hold services. On December 12, 1912, the Methodist Church was chartered with 76 members. C.W. Walton donated the lot and was underwriter for the building.  

In 1917, the church raised money to finish paying the debt and the one room church with homemade pews was dedicated. A coal stove heated the building.  

A Church Develops

In 1941, the first Vacation Bible School was held. In 1942, the building was destroyed by a hurricane. A new building was started with $800 of insurance money, a building fund, and lumber salvaged from the old building.  

An education building was dedicated in 1954 and the present education building was built in 1964. The old building was moved to a new location and used for a thrift shop which provided a valuable source of income for the church.  

October 10, 1982, ground was broken for the present sanctuary which was consecrated on May 22, 1983. Members Steve Waghorne and Noebelle Southern designed the sanctuary and stained-glass windows, respectively. 

361-524-8111

FUMCSeadrift@gmail.com

Facebook: FUMCSEADRIFTTX

YouTube Channel: FUMC Seadrift

601 South 2nd Street

P.O. Box 307

Seadrift, TX 77983

©2018 by First United Methodist Church. Proudly created with Wix.com